Practical Skills solutions
Lawyering success requires development of practice-ready skills. Attorneys struggle when they don’t embrace skills valued by employers and clients. Instead, they assume that hard work and subject matter expertise will advance their careers. That’s wrong. It takes more than that to serve as a trusted advisor, zealous advocate, and business generator.
Employers value attorneys with core competencies in legal writing, problem solving, project management, client service, business development, and subject matter expertise – in that order. Sadly, many graduates are not well trained in those skills.
Professional development training consumes scarce business resources. Employers who rely on their own attorneys to lead those efforts discover that trainers lack sufficient time, interest, or teaching skills. Or they’re frustrated by consultants who recycle common "tips" without regard to learning strategies. Securing meaningful training is a constant challenge for employers.
The solution lies with experienced educators. Lawrite instructors rely on practical principles that promote self-directed learning behaviors. Our success training students and attorneys proves that progress is achieved by embracing a process-oriented approach to learning. That, combined with active learning techniques and assessments, generates professional development.
We offer workshop and individual coaching solutions for attorneys, support professionals, and summer associates. Contact us to request workshop agendas, each of which is customizable.
- Legal Writing - advanced skills training in critical thinking; analytical problem solving; structural paradigms; rule explanation and synthesis; strategic fact applications; stylistic conventions for precision, clarity, and brevity; and the revision process.
- Project Management - develop techniques to complete projects on time and in a cost-efficient manner, including taking and completing assignments, information and time management skills, seeking and using feedback, and teamwork building strategies.
- Client Service - improve responsiveness to client needs through effective letter and email drafting, adopting a client-centric perspective, and accounting for business and industry practices.
- Professional Identity Development - target career goals by assessing existing skills, discovering valued competencies, planning for success, pursuing skills development, and engaging in strategic business development activities.
- Feedback & Assessment - discover techniques assigning attorneys use to help associates develop self-directed, growth mindset learning skills.
Business Writing - improve writing skills of non-legal professionals, with an emphasis on purpose, organization, and clarity.
Our individual coaching services resolve specific skills issues. That training begins by diagnosing strengths and weaknesses. From there, we implement focused, user-friendly improvement strategies followed by exercises and assessments.
Good learning is the key to lawyering success. Please consider Lawrite Consulting when exploring training opportunities for your professionals. We accommodate your training needs, budgetary constraints, and schedules. Training is conducted live or by video conference, and we are available to travel.